Consistent with its five-year strategic plan the general objectives of the Nutrition Unit in the Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment are:
- To measure and monitor nutritional status and other critical nutrition indicators in vulnerable and other population groups to guide the planning, delivery and impact evaluation of nutrition programmes and dietetic service.
- To set nutrition standards and develop and implement effective nutrition intervention policies and programmes aimed at improving food and nutrition security and preventing and managing nutrition-related health conditions in vulnerable population groups.
- To develop and implement training, information, education and communication programmes in foods, nutrition and dietetics.
- To provide quality dietetic service aimed at preventing and managing nutrition-related health conditions at the individual level.
- To strengthen the capacity to plan, implement and evaluate nutrition programmes and projects; and to manage and co-ordinate the delivery of dietetic service through the provision of appropriate organisational frameworks, management systems and adequate human, technical, financial and other resources.