The Mental Health Centre was the country’s only psychiatric facility and was constructed in 1938 by the Colonial British Government. It was built in a time when modern treatment for mentally ill patients was not available.
Hence, it was mostly intended to keep the patients away from society and designed to house ninety (90) patients. In the early nineties the hospital was renovated to give it a more modern look. Later on a new ward was built to accommodate more patients - increasing the capacity to one hundred and forty (140) patients.