The Ministry of Health and the Environment, in pursuit of its mission performs the following functions:
- Mobilize financial, material and manpower resources at all levels to adequately meet the health care needs of the population.
- Develop programmes and establish delivery systems appropriate to the health care needs of the population.
- Provide comprehensive health care delivery services at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
- Facilitate intra and intersectoral coordination in the provision of health care and in the protection and preservation of the environment.
- Institute the necessary regulatory mechanisms to ensure the availability of quality health care and the maintenance of the integrity of the environment.
- Establish dynamic health management systems to facilitate the delivery of effective and efficient health care.