Goals and Objectives of the General Nursing Council:
- Set/recommend criteria governing the entry into the various levels of nursing programmes.
- Approve curriculum to be followed by Nursing Educational Agencies.
- Establish and maintain the rules and regulations governing qualifying examinations/administration of these examination.
- Maintain an up-to-date register of the various categories of nurses.
- Take necessary steps to maintain the moral, academic, and professional competence and discipline among nursing personnel, removing them from the register as deemed fit.
- Publish annual list of nurses currently registered and eligible to practice.
- Establish, and monitor standards in nursing education and clinical practice.
- Collaborate with Regional Nursing Body and other nursing and health authorities for the benefit of health in general and nursing in particular.
- Motivate and/or conduct research as applicable to Nursing.