Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Health Information System
The Ministry of Health and the Environment is currently installing an electronic Health Information System (HIS) with the aim of improving the delivery of health care in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. The implementation of the HIS consists of the customization and operationalizing of a software package and the purchase of computer equipment for health care facilities throughout Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. Work is also ongoing to network the health care facilities to facilitate inter-connectivity.
The Saint Vincent and the Grenadines HIS (SVG-HIS) will undoubtedly:
- Provide electronic personal identification codes and records for every member of the population
- Improve health through the availability of better reliable and timely health information
- Improve monitoring of National, regional and International indicators
- Improve accountability and ensure evidence-based decision-making
Status on SVG-HIS
The sole aim of the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines HIS is to electronically integrate all the major service areas within the Ministry of Health and the Environment which would include modules such as:
- Electronic Health Records/Admission-Discharge-Transfer
- Clinician Order Entry
- Maternal Child Health
- Laboratory and Testing
- Supply Chain Management
- Public Health
- Human Resources
In order to achieve this function, the SVG-HIS is comprised of four (4) major components which are:
- Open source software
- Hardware for all hospital and district clinics.
- Network infrastructure for hospitals and district clinics.
- Capacity strengthening training for technical team and end-users.
The Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Health Information System (SVGHIS) has already been implemented and is being used at 36 facilities daily. The modules that are effectively functioning at these health centers are Electronic Health Records, Maternal Child Health, Clinician Order Entry, Supply Chain Management, HIV and Human Resources. Other modules, along with the remaining clinics, will be implemented soon.