The overall scope of this Digitalization Project is to complete 30,000 files within 1.5 months.
There are 3 phases in this section: Prepping, Scanning, and Uploading
Phase I: Prepping entails preparing the patients’ files before scanning. This process comprises disassembling files, selecting relevant sections/pages of the files according to the period decided for scanning.
Phase II: Scanning is capturing the data electronically with the use of scanning devices and software. This process also includes structured labeling of files and saving files to secure device.
Phase III: Uploading is the step that facilitates the files to be attached/uploaded to patient’s electronic records in the HIS.
The Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment have hired 12 full time staff and a Project Coordinator to meet the project deliverables. The team has been doing a great job thus far and we are happy with the output.
This project was funded by Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO).
We are grateful to PAHO for giving us this opportunity since this project has been pending for the last 7 seven years.
- Benefits of the project:
1) Improved retrieval and storage of patient history
2) Improved data quality
3) Improved working environment for the staff at Medical Records
4) The scanned files will save time
5) This process will drive the use of the HIS when all files are uploaded to the system.
6) Full implementation of the HIS will result in cost savings for the Government of SVG with the reduction of use of paper.
On completion of this project, the files to be attached/uploaded to patient’s electronic records in the SVGHIS.
Source: The Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment – Health Information Unit (IT)